If you love fajitas, these chicken fajitas meal prep bowls are the easiest, fastest, and most delicious way to satisfy your cravings the healthy way!
Make juicy, tender, super flavorful chicken and veggies sizzling together in a roasting pan. Cook some rice on the side and you’ll have a delicious, healthy meal in minutes.
Meal prep bowls are a fantastic way to eat healthy, save time in the kitchen AND save money! I’m a HUGE fan of preparing healthy meals and I’m constantly on the lookout for new recipes to add to my rotation. These chicken fajitas meal prep bowls are a fantastic way to add some variety and they won’t disappoint!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken – I recommend using boneless skinless chicken breast. Two large chicken breasts (about 20 ounces) are enough to make four bowls of meal prep. Alternatively, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Peppers – use three different colored peppers. Not only do these crunchy peppers add a rainbow of color to your plate, they’re also packed with antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Onion – red onion is my favorite to use because it has a milder flavor, but white onion works great too.
- Rice – I used basmati rice for this recipe, but you can use any type of rice you like. If you’re like me and don’t want to keep an eye on the rice while it’s cooking, check out mine Instant pot rice guide. You will get perfect rice every time 🙂
- cumin – it adds tons of flavor to the chicken, so don’t skip it. If you need to replace it, you can use paprika or chili powder instead.
- Chilli in pieces – add some heat to your fajitas using red pepper flakes. You can also use some cayenne pepper if you need to replace them.
- Salt and pepper – sprinkle in some fresh pepper and sea salt for maximum flavor.
- coriander – this is only used for garnish, but who doesn’t love the taste of fresh cilantro? Okay, I’m a big fan of cilantro, but for those who don’t like it (what?), it can be omitted.
- Limes – Freshly squeezed lime juice enhances the overall flavor of these chicken fajitas meal prep bowls. Or you can also squirt a few drops of bottled lime juice.
How to make meal prep bowls for chicken fajitas
- Prepare the rice – cook the rice in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop as directed on the package. Also, preheat oven to 450 F.
- Prepare the vegetables – get a large cutting board. Peel and thinly slice the peppers. Then peel and thinly slice the red onion. Add all the sliced vegetables to a roasting pan, drizzle with a drizzle of oil and sprinkle them with sea salt. Use your hands to massage and completely coat all the vegetables with the oil and salt.
- Prepare the chicken – in a small bowl combine the cumin, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and pepper. Then rub on the chicken breasts until completely covered.
- Cook chicken and vegetables – add the seasoned chicken to the roasting pan with the vegetables and place in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Assemble the prep bowls – once cooked, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting into pieces. Then divide the rice and roasted vegetables into four containers for meal prep. Slice the chicken and also divide it into the four bowls. Drizzle some fresh lime juice over each container and sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro. Yum!
Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When it’s ready to eat, reheat it and enjoy.
Chicken Meal Prep Bowls last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
YES! You can freeze chicken fajitas meal prep bowls for up to 3 months. To defrost, just place it in the refrigerator overnight.
Just add them to the microwave or a large skillet over medium heat to heat them up.
Meal prep bowls for chicken fajitas
- 20 ounce chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper pieces
- 3 peppers of different colors
- 1 big red onion
- 1 Tablespoon tasteless oil
- 1 1/3 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 bunch of coriander
- 2-3 limes
- sea salt
Cook the rice in the Instant Pot or as directed on the package.
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Peel and thinly slice the peppers and peel and thinly slice the red onion. Then add to a large roasting pan and drizzle with a drizzle of oil and season with sea salt and work the oil and salt into the vegetables with your hands.
Mix the cumin, red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper to taste and then rub over the chicken.
Add the seasoned chicken to the roasting pan with the vegetables and place in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
Divide the rice, chicken and vegetables into 4 meal prep containers, drizzle with fresh lime juice and sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro.